Different classifications exist for multiple available energy sources. According to Statista, they are majorly divided into two main categories: primary energy and secondary energy. Primary energy sources can be used just as they are in the natural environment. In contrast, secondary energy is produced from transforming a primary energy source.
Examples of primary energy sources include fossil fuels and nuclear energy. Secondary energy sources include electrical energy, which is derived from primary energy sources.
Interesting Facts About Energy Usage in the US
The United States uses and produces various types of energy. The facts surrounding consumption, production, and distribution of energy in the US make for interesting reading and are worth pondering. Some of these facts are highlighted below.
- The average American household consumes around 11,000-kilowatt-hours of power each year.
- Electricity moves from a power plant through a high-voltage switchyard, transmission lines, a substation, a distribution line, a transformer, and finally to your home.
- Electricity is estimated to travel at about 186,000 miles per hour — the same speed as light.
Natural Gas Facts
We normally think about energy statistics in terms of electricity, but our homes also consume natural gas! Natural gas is a combination of hydrocarbon molecules that are utilized as a source of energy. However, it must first be refined and transformed into dry natural gas before it can be used domestically. Below are some interesting facts about natural gas.
- Natural gas is used to power around 66 million residences and 5 million businesses in the United States.
- Nearly 10.3 million Americans work in the natural gas and oil industries. This equates to around 5.6% of all jobs in the United States.
- Power companies add the “rotten egg” scent of natural gas so that you can identify a gas leak. Natural gas is colorless and odorless in its natural condition.
Renewable Energy Facts
Renewable energy sources are never-ending. Unlike fossil fuels, they transform a natural resource into energy. Here are some interesting facts about renewable energy:
- All mainstream renewable energy sources generated 38% of global power in 2021, which is higher than coal.
- Wind and solar are the fastest-growing renewable energy sources, with their share having doubled by 14% and 23%, respectively, since 2015.
Are you in need of electrical services for your home or business? Contact us to have your electricity needs handled by our professionals today!